Interview - Lukhanyo Mdingi

Lukhanyo, courtesy of Elle South Africa.

Lukhanyo Mdingi explores for this Fall/Winter 2015 the use of knotting rather than weaving or knitting, a different form of textile-making, which he named his latest collection from. Showcased in "Macramé", we can notice a strong interpretation of minimalistic codes. Avant-garde through the association of different and eclectic materials such as ; wire, plastic and string. The Cape Town based fashion designer, re-invents in his own terms, textures, a key element in his creations. Mdingi takes us within this interview towards his personal journey and opinion of the industry he evolves in.


What first brought you to fashion ? 

Since my early age, I always been strongly attracted to clothes and how the styling is made for a collection. I think it is quite commun for designers to remember, as earliest memories and introduction to fashion, the women who surrounded us.

How do you see yourself growing within this industry ?

I'm still a baby and I have so much to learn about this industry. Although, I'm fortunate enough to be someone armed with patience, love and persistence. Consistency also plays an important role. I'm really looking forward to see what the future holds for me, in a long term perspective.


How could you describe your belief in fashion ? 

For me it has become a source of expression based on creating. Fashion goes far beyond clothes, it's something to do with individuals and the way they are representing a lifestyle.

Where do you place fashion in art ?

They come together and in my opinion, there is no difference between one and the other. Both use a sense of creativity, that is a personal and independent inspiration to create and reflect a particular aesthetic.

Macramé - Fall/Winter 2015 Photography: Travys Owen, Styling and Direction: Gabrielle Kannemeyer, Grooming: Amori Birch, Model: Daniel Phahlamohlake.

Comments